Sunday, January 10, 2016

what is the deal with glossybox?


Every month a perfect little pink box arrives at your doorstep, waiting to be carefully opened so you can make new beauty discoveries. Sounds pretty amazing, right?
Having first heard of Glossybox from the blogging world and spending more hours than I would care to admit watching unboxing videos on YouTube, I was thrilled to receive a six month subscription for my 18th birthday in August. I had never been subscribed to anything ever, not even a magazine, so the idea of getting a parcel in the post gave me something to look forward to every month. Glossybox, in case you don't know, surprises you with five beauty products for £10, with most of the brands being relatively unheard of.
Now, six boxes and thirty-one products later (they gave an extra one for Christmas!) I thought I would let you know what I thought.

1. The novelty of it, for me, wore off pretty quickly. Initially when the boxes came it felt like Christmas morning but gradually it became something I expected, and didn't fully appreciate. I would open the box, read about the products and then, just, sit it on my desk where it would stay for a few weeks. This blase attitude could be explained by my next point.

2. Sometimes the products just weren't good. I think this is the biggest issue I have with beauty boxes in general: the unknown. Like, sure, you can look at this as a good thing. A surprise, how fun. But what if it isn't a good surprise? At least with a magazine subscription you know exactly what you are getting. Yeah, the content will change every issue but the nature of the content won't. It is reliable. However, when you receive a box full of products you will never use you start to think that it is waste of money.

3. It makes a good present but definitely not something I would be willing to pay for. To be fair, I am a broke teenager who barely makes over £30 a week! So, no, spending money on products that I might not even like doesn't appeal to me. I guess if I have a well-paid job (goals) when I'm older then why not treat myself to beauty boxes? Or I could just save the money and buy chanel handbags and louboutins (I am rich in my future daydreams okay).

4. It does encourage you to try new brands. I'll give them that. Popping into Boots every month and buying the same eyeliner you have bought five times before... Does that sound familiar to anyone? If so, maybe these boxes are what you need to rekindle your love for all things beauty. It is fair to say that I can get stuck in a beauty rut and Glossybox has helped me break out of it. Since many of the brands aren't available in Superdrug or Boots you really are being introduced to products for the first time. Honestly, there was nothing I loved so much that I'll go out of my way to buy online but it was fun to experiment with new make-up and skincare.


I feel like I have been a bit harsh so let's revise the good points: I love the idea of it, and I love the effort that goes into the packaging and the editor's letter. The entire aesthetic of it is perfect. And you can get good products (see above.) I just think they need to up their game and to consistently bring out good boxes.
Although I won't be renewing my subscription any time soon, who knows, I might in the future. But, realistically, for the next few years I'll be a broke student who will barely be able to afford groceries for the week, never mind the luxury of trying out beauty products!
Have you ever tried a beauty box subscription? What do you think?

 photo sign_zpsce874fdb.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Niamh I love your blog! Can you pleaseeee do a what I got for Christmas? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mia :) It is a little bit late for it now but I will definitely try and do one next year! (my main present this year was an iphone so it wouldn't have been too interesting anyway!)

      Delete

I'd absolutely love to hear your thoughts on this one...